SmartWay provides up-to-date traffic information on our highway system. This system includes TN511, our HELP program and our Intelligent Transportation System. They help keep Tennessee traffic moving so motorists are safe and efficient in their travels. More about SmartWay
More About SmartWay
The SmartWay system includes four transportation management centers, 517 cameras, 174 message signs, 1015 roadway detection systems and 49 video detection systems in the four largest cities.
TNSmartWay is a web site that provides information for motorists on highway incidents, construction activities and traffic information. It provides views of TDOT’s cameras, DMS board information and speed data.
- Transportation Management Centers (TMC) serve as focal points for traffic management operations and communications in Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville.
- HELP Freeway Service Patrols reduce congestion by removing minor incidents in a timely fashion in the four urban areas.
- TN511 is a voice activated phone system which provides up to date traffic information about conditions on Tennessee roadways as well as weather information from the National Weather Service.
- Camera Video Surveillance monitors congested freeways and provide improved incident management capabilities.
- Radar Detection System are devices used to monitor traffic flow help calculate travel times for routes.
- Video Detection System are video devices used to monitor traffic flow and calculate travel times for routes.
- Roadway Traffic Sensors report traffic counts, speed and travel time.
- Dynamic Message Signs are mounted over interstate travel lanes providing traffic and construction information to motorists, as well as other key messages about driving.
New SmartWay Traffic for motorists!
TDOT has a new, redesigned SmartWay web interface that includes, for the first time, live streaming video. You’ll be able to see real-time live video of traffic from 475 cameras in the state’s four metropolitan areas: Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Memphis. The new SmartWay Traffic web page is all about showing you what’s going on at your location. It even has a feature that sorts highway events based on where you are.
How do I get SmartWay Traffic on my device?
- 1 Click on the SmartWay Traffic link www.TNSmartWay.com/Traffic
- 2 Save it to your device or create a shortcut using your browser.
- 3 Go Use the site before hitting the road.
If you save it as a desktop shortcut, copy the link and use your operating system’s shortcut tools to paste and create the linking icon.
It looks and feels like an app but it’s web based so you don’t have to visit your smartphone app store. You must use an internet browser on your smartphone to get the app.
- Caution Items Anything that could mean lane closures such as construction or crashes on the road.
- Construction Information on TDOT highway activities
- Traffic Cameras 475 cameras across the state with real-time, live video of traffic
- Message Signs Information about what’s ahead or safety messages
- Road Conditions Weather related information like floods or ice
Your browser is out of date.
This page will not display correctly, please update your browser.